Friday, August 7, 2009

A testimonial from reading Sex, Lies, and Menopause

If you read the "Sex, Lies and Menopause" and Suzanne Sommer's book "The Sexy Years", you find out that medical doctors only get about 4 hours of training in college for hormones. Ideally, if you can find a reproductive endocrinologist who specializes in hormones, he/she would be well versed in hormones. I don't think there is one in Tucson but, I don'tknow about Phoenix. I may look because it would be worth the trip, believe me. Suzanne Sommers says that she has to drive over 3 hours to see her doctor but it is well worth it to find a doctor who knows what they are doing and will work with you. At this point, I am ready to go to Denver to find someone.

I was on "natural" hormones from the compounding pharmacy (Reed's onSpeedway) but they don't do the Wiley Protocol. They do try to tailor your hormonal needs to you but ultimately, all they do is mix estrogen and progesterone together and you take all of the hormones at the same time. That is not what nature does. What doctors don't tell you and you don'tknow is that hormones needs are just as individualized as people are themselves. Doctors/pharmaceuticals want to lump everyone into one category, produce one pill and makes lots and tons of money (synthetics). What the Wiley Protocol does is to match your various hormone intake withwhat they were when you were in your 20's. When you think about it, women in their 20's don't have heart disease, Alzheimer's, arthritis, osteoporosis, or cancer and all of the other diseases of aging. Women in their 20's also produce estrogen all month long in various amounts then ovulation occurs and the last 2 weeks of the cycle, the progesterone kicks in taking you up to your period. That is the way nature intended your body to use hormones. In the Wiley book, you find out that your hormones, estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA which are minor hormones can have a major effect on the major hormones which are cortisol, insulin and melatonin. All of a sudden, I am insulin resistant. I am willing to bet that once I am up and running on the Wiley Protocol, the insulin resistance will go away. It also can have a major effect on your weight.
Some people say, well, menopause is the "natural" thing to have happen. That's true but what they don't realize is that humans have been on earth for thousands and thousands of years. The menstrual cycle was very much tied to the moon and seasons of the year. Our bodies are still trying to work under that system but humans have changed the rules. People also don't stop to realize that menopause happens normally in the early 50's because until recently, women didn't live past 50. So, now that our life expectancy is getting longer and longer, our bodies are being asked to live without the hormones that your body requires, hence diseases of aging set in. Like Isaid, their premise is that women in their 20's seldom ever get those diseases. Think about that!


The MAIN problem that Wiley has with the synthetic hormones is that they don't match what the human body produces. Natural hormones cannot be patented because they occur in nature so the Pharmaceuticals go in and start changing the natural hormones at a cellular level so they can patent them and makes lots of money. That DOES NOT WORK IN THE HUMAN BODY! But, they don't care because it's all about the bottom line. You have to read "Sex,Lies and Menopause" where it explains some of the terrible things that the drug companies do. Premarin is made by keeping horses pregnant, tied up in a stall and forcing them to urinate so they can get the hormones from the urine. They are asking a human body to use horse hormones - it doesn't work that way. The book also discusses all of the other hormones that your body has to have to live. Incidentally, this is just as true for men. Wiley is coming out with a book about men's hormones in December. I know so many with prostate problems and cancer that I highly suspect that hormones are involved. Testosterone and DHEA to start with.


I am having terrible problems with palpitations. I have had all of the heart studies done and there is nothing wrong with my heart. I went to my internist to complain. I told him that I thought it was hormones and he said quote, "Oh, hormones won't give you palpitations"! I almost fell out of my chair! He didn't even know what he was talking about.


I have gone on way too long trying to paraphrase several hundred pages of a book. I told Gretchen that every time I turned the page, I was more and more shocked and astounded. Suzanne Somers came to the point where she had to make a decision about radiation, chemo, etc. Please, ask them about the damage that radiation can do. I hope you will read the books before youf inally decide. You mention that the doctors have been great, I loved Evers, but the truth is, THEY DON'T KNOW!!!!! Evers knows that!


Potter's mother took Tamoxifen for 5 years. Now studies show that Tamoxifen causes a much greater incidence of a worse kind of cancer in your other breast.


Please stay in touch, I promise next time I won't be so long winded! :-)





Call my office to set up an appointment or email me 815-476-5210 or jones.gretchen@gmail.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining my revolution to educate women about their hormones! Let's work together.