Sunday, February 27, 2011

Why Do So Many Think Estrogen is Dangerous for Women?

I spend a lot of time pondering that question and trying to figure out how this fear franzy started with a hormone called estrogen? I'm of average intelligence and feel like I am a reasonable person who has a somewhat logical mind so when I think about the human body and how it works I do so with a logical way of thinking. I also have many years of medical training where I have additional insight into how the body works. And I'm still amazed that other logical, average intelligent people fear estrogen. Yet....and I'm sorry I have to say things like this....don't fear far worse things we ingest and expose ourselves to. And if you are one of these people, you know exactly what I am talking about. I'm not even going to name a few examples because I don't want the focus to go that direction. I want to focus on why estrogen is a part of who we are as women and to take it away or have it go away (i.e.menopause) is when health begins to slowly decline.

It just bothers me so much when I do an internet search on menopause or HRT and read some of the incredibly ridiculous options given to women to manage their symptoms. If only women understood how this wonderful hormone actually works they would laugh and ignore the stupidity of the suggestions offered by well intentioned (I hope) solutions. We need to do more than manage the symptoms of hypoestrogen, below normal estrogen levels, and treat the problem. A phrase I use often to my patients.

Synthetic drugs posed as hormones are not estrogen. Low doses of estrogen given in the same dose every day is not hormone replacement, it is symptom management.

I am 45 and I have the mind and body I had when I was 25 and that is because I'm healthy inside. My estrogen levels are normal. My metabolic chemistry is normal. I don't suffer from hot flashes. I sleep at night. I don't have headaches. I have plenty of energy. My skin is smooth and supple. My hair is soft and full. My eyes are not dry. My stomach is flat. I don't have panic attacks or heart palpitations. I have a memory. I can multi task.

I know you want all these things too. And you can have them. Just don't be afraid of your estrogen.



Call my office in Lombard (630) 627-3700 to set up an appointment or email me at jones.gretchen@gmail.com

1 comments:

Shirley Donalds said...

I have purchased a lot of different herbal remedies for more than five years.... Nutri-Meds bovine thyroid might well be the best product I've ever used. After seven days, I felt like my life rolled back 10 years. After taking this, I'm not tired anymore, and I feel like the energizer bunny! I take three caps twice a day. It's great to know something I'm taking on a daily basis is so pure and organic.

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining my revolution to educate women about their hormones! Let's work together.